Saturday, April 17, 2010

In a jam


Why is it that in my life either nothing happens for really long stretches of time or everything happens at once?

The moment I booked my date for GRE, every other opportunity that I had been waiting months for suddenly decides to present itself to me at or around the same time. I get a call for interview from II effing T, an interview that I would give an arm and leg to attend but cannot because it is ON THE VERY SAME DAY as my GRE in a completely different city. Great timing or what? IIT would never agree to change the date of the interview, in fact they say so in the letter and I would have to spend an extra $45 to change the date of my GRE which is pretty expensive. So, that one goes down the drain. The irony of it is that while I require the GRE in order to apply for PhDs, working in an IIT  would almost guarantee that I get in..

I had planned on staying at my cousin-who-also-happens-to-be-my-best-friend's place for a few days after the exam. What with her job and my studies we never get to spend as much time together as we used to. So, I was really looking forward to visiting her. But, another interview decides to happen two days after my GRE. If that one had been on the same day too, I would've been back to square 1- with no job and no possibilities of getting one in the near future..

It's not like I don't have the qualifications or skills for the sort of jobs that I want. It's just that in India, just those are never enough. In fact, if you have the right contacts, you can even do without those. I hope I can do something to change this rotten system in any small way that I can, some day..

No comments:

Post a Comment